Sunday, July 19, 2015

IP and Diginole!

Have you discovered diginole yet? It is a repository in which FSU faculty and students can upload their published works. 

I chose to discuss this topic because this week's focus has been on intellectual property when you publish something in a scholarly journal, you don't necessarily retain the rights to the work. You can negotiate any aspect of the publishing contract, but I never have.

The link below will take you to the two published articles that I have in the repository. As you can tell, when you download the articles and they are pre-published forms of the works. That's one way to get around this issue because you're not directly uploading the journal article copied out of the journal. You are publishing a prepress version.

The person that explained this all to me is the librarian at FSU, Micah. Vanessa has already shared his Twitter account to follow. He's great! http://micahvandegrift.com/

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this, Meagan! I had heard of Diginole, but only in terms of dissertations and theses. I didn't realize that this could be a source of finding articles published by faculty that are not accessible from the journals... There are a few faculty that I've wanted to read, but cannot access their articles. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Some of us publish in really obscure journals that FSU doesn't subscribe to, so this is a way to get the word out. :)

      Delete