Wednesday, July 1, 2015

#EME6414 Post 1: Time Management & Writing Tools

I'm three days into Dr. Dennen's Web 2.0 class and we have hit the ground running. After our one-hour webinar today, the course structure really fell into place for me. I will be using this blog during these six weeks to post my reflections on the topic for each week and share different interesting finds.

I feel like this is the biggest online class I have ever taken, which isn't true because there are only 36 students. It's not like a MOOC or anything... It's just that everyone has such interesting discussion board posts and stories, and soon blog posts, that I find it hard to grasp everything... plus get all the reading done. 

For my first post I wanted to share a little handout I made for FSU graduate students on resources on and off campus to help with any writing concerns you may have. I also listed some strategies here to help with starting a writing project.


But what I wanted to highlight for this blog post are the tools listed at the end there. 

  • pomodoro.me features a tomato timer that helps me with time management to make sure that I take breaks and get more done in the long run. More recently I have adopted the Chrome extension, Strict Workforce, because it is a timer that does not allow you to access social media and other designated sites during your set work period. That doesn't take aware my phone; unfortunately, self-regulation is still required.
  • writtenkitten.net simply motivates a writer by displaying a picture of a different kitten, bunny, or puppy once you hit 100 (or 200 or 500) words written. 
  • oldandbusted.drwicked.com is a site also known as Write or Die. Using this free web app, you set a goal number of words and a time limit and can select one of the following consequences
    • Gentle Mode: A certain amount of time after you stop writing, a box will pop up, gently reminding you to continue writing.
    • Normal Mode: If you persistently avoid writing, you will be played a most unpleasant sound. The sound will stop if and only if you continue to write.
    • Kamikaze Mode: Keep Writing or Your Work Will Unwrite Itself (deleted forever).
Have you ever used these before? Try them out and let us know what you think

I hope some of these tools and information is helpful to you in your future grad school writing. 



9 comments:

  1. Nice group of tips and resources, Meagan. Thanks for sharing them. I write with poms, although I use a different timer (apimac). I'm not sure about that kamikaze mode ...have you ever used it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me too nervous to use it because I constantly crtl+a and crtl+c my text haha

      Delete
  2. Meagan, thank you for your sharing. I actually often use the sticky note and "Rescue time". I will definitely check "pomodoro" which sounds very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Meagan! I really enjoyed your handout for graduate students and I am definitely going to try some of those tips and tools. I think I'll experiment with Strict Workforce tomorrow while I'm studying/reading/catching up on my 2 online courses. The Write or Die site sounds like it could be helpful to me as well but I think the Kamikaze mode would give me too much anxiety! I'd have to try the gentle mode first and maybe progress to the normal mode. I look forward to trying these new things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Meagan! I've used tomato timer when I was preparing GRE! It is very helpful to stay focused. I am also using a Chrome extension called StayFocus, which limit my time visiting some certain website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meagan thank you for those helpful links! I am finishing up my coursework this semester but maybe I can use these tools in my professional life? I usually time myself when I am completing assignments, but these tools will make it easier in the future! I wonder if I could call your handout more like an infographic? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Infographic sounds fancy, but usually there is more data on inforgraphics, right? I would like to learn more. This is the Wikipedia definition https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infographic: "Information graphics or infographics are graphic visual representations of information, data or knowledge intended to present information quickly and clearly. They can improve cognition by utilizing graphics to enhance the human visual system's ability to see patterns and trends."

      Delete
  6. Very helpful! Thank you for sharing, Meagan! I added the moosti.com to my bookmark toolbar. Actually, Strict Workforce sounds more interesting due to its functions (e.g., blocking social media sites) but need to share our data on tabs and browsing activity, so.

    ReplyDelete