Saturday, July 11, 2015

Apps for events

As I blog from the Highland Games at Grandfather Mountain NC, I'm thinking about how Web 2.0 tools aid in the facilitation of face to face special events. In the past I have had mixed experiences with apps for events, like Dragoncon and the American Educational Research Association conference. At the very least, the apps provided a map of events. Even at such an intimate event as the Highland Games, such an app would have been useful. What have you experiences with event apps been like?

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Meagan
    I actually had great experiences with app event. I attened AECT last November. By then, they launched the AECT app. On that app, we can check daily events, activities, and schedules, and communicate with others. We can also check the restaurants around the conference site, which is very convenient for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat! Did you have any issues with wifi? Sometimes I rely on these apps and then can't connect to the internet. I try to keep a paper agenda as a backup, if it's not too bulky.

      Delete
  2. What are the Highland Games?

    I typically avoid event apps. I find they are often frustrating to use, with a poor interface. And then I have to go to the hassle of downloading, and later deleting. However, I'm sure they're getting better all of the time and I could be convinced to tray again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Highland Games are the Scottish summer games. These include track and field, as well as herding and wrestling events. All the Scottish clans gather and celebrate their heritage with haggis, meat pies, and scotch.

      Delete
  3. I recently attended Florida Supercon in Miami, which is a massive comic book/anime/video game/television/everything convention that takes place at the Miami Beach Convention Center. They didn't quite have an app but they optimized their website for mobile functionality. This was very important because they frequently had half a dozen events running simultaneously, and more than once I ended up at an interesting and unexpected panel because I had some free time and checked the schedule. Because Miami Beach's hotels are so expensive and parking is limited, Supercon has to coordinate shuttle buses to downtown Miami, and they used their web resources to keep the busses running as well as they could. (It's Miami--there's always a crash on I-95 at any given time.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's neat. At least there was some way to get information daily!

      Delete