Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Weekdays in Tallahassee

There I am on the left with my new "caramel" hair color. I have done a lot this week: left the house a million times, almost ran out of gas, and sweated profusely. 

I went for an after-supper walk at Myers Park in the historic district of Tallahassee. I found this out by acting a fool and asking this black woman "ma'am, do you know why the street signs are brown here?" What a dim wit. 

The next night I attended my neighborhood crime watch meeting. There is a just a host of characters living here - in a good way. I met two psychologists, a middle school art teacher, some retired folks, a lawyer, a real estate agent, etc. Some of the highlights: There is one man how is a raging environmentalist. While the community cop was giving tips including leaving a light on this man raved about "light pollution." I love looking at stars, but we live downtown with a lot of shady characters. Speaking of shady, one of the houses on our street is inhabited my this man who is doing some repairs in exchange for rent. The owner hadn't lived there in about 7 years since her husband died and just can't deal with it (i.e. take the time to rent or sell it??). 

Instead, she is letting this guy live there which is cool, but he lets all the homeless people in the area live and party there. There is clearly drug dealing going on and maybe prostitution because people keep coming in all the time. Since he isn't legally doing anything wrong, not even his lawyer next-door neighbor can do anything about it. At first I thought these people were merely being classist, but they're just concerned about their safety since a few convicted criminals have listed their address as that house and the guy that robbed the bank down the street in December also lived there. What do we do? 

To think that the house could be sold to a loving person or that it could be donated to a charity willing to facilitate transitional housing.  

On a lighter note, I have found my Denny's equivalent, the Village Inn. This place is family owned and has a wonderful staff. I've befriended Taylor, a young artist and cosmetology student. 

Below is the most delicious thing ever: Caramel Pecan Silk Supreme. From the bottom up it has a pecan layer of that normal filling, then silk mouse, then whipped creme, then pecans on top with caramel, and a yummy graham cracker crust. 


No comments:

Post a Comment