Thursday, September 17, 2009

If I was studying a teenage drug ring...


I would be a little more interested in what makes these people tick and what they think about the outside world. What does the outside world think of them? The what ifs are endless really. This is the ethnography I'm reading right now, The Cocaine Kids. It's short and sweet. It takes place in the late 80s in Washington Heights. The researcher basically just hangs out with these teenagers that are pretty big time in the cocaine biz. They are all Dominicans so this is a very nice view of one tiny slice of that time.

EDIT: I finished it this afternoon and I think what I liked best was the way the kids described their families with such pride. One chick's dad was santero. How she described the saints, orishas, beads, etc. was very familiar to me. At the end there was a sort of epilogue that explained that happens to each person. One person got shot - it wasn't even the way he died; he drowned accidently at the beach. What are the odds?


No comments:

Post a Comment